The Indian city of Belgaum is a city in the northern part of the state of Karnataka and lies along the Western Ghats. The Government of Karnataka intends on making Belgaum the second capital of Karnataka. It is being developed into a smart city. The city was earlier known as Venugram which means Bamboo village in Sanskrit. The city has recently acquired a new name as "Kunda Nagari" for its famous sweet dish called "Kunda" which is made of milk, sugar and spices. The city is also known for its sugarcane cultivation and production and is hence often referred to as the "Sugar Bowl of Karnataka" or the "Sugar District." The Government of Karnataka officially changed the name of the city to Belagavi on 1st November 2014. Belgaum experiences a pleasant climate throughout the year and hosts around 6 lakh residents. The city receives heavy rainfall and has abundantly available water due to the rivers in the vicinity. Hence, the fertile soil supports the cultivation of various vegetables and fruits. Belgaum is also a source of poultry, meat and fish. The mining industry also thrives in the area due to the availability of aluminum and uranium ores. The city hosts prestigious educational institutes like the Visvesvaraya Technological University, Karnataka Law Society and Rani Channamma University.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.