Bathinda is one of the oldest cities as well as a Municipal Corporation in the Indian state of Punjab. It functions as the administrative headquarters of the Bathinda District. It is situated in the Malwa Region. Bathinda is nicknamed as the City of Lakes, owing to the numerous artificial lakes in the city. The city is also known as Tabar-e-Hind or Tabarhindh which means the Gateway to India. Razia Sultana, the first Empress of India, was imprisoned in the Qila Mubarak fort in this city. Bhatinda is one of the leading cities in education. It has many prestigious academic institutions such as the Central University of Punjab and the upcoming AIIMS. Two modern thermal power plants are housed in Bhatinda - Guru Nanak Dev Thermal Plant and Guru Hargobind Thermal Plant. The city has a fertilizer plant, an oil refinery and two cement plants by Ambuja Cements & UltraTech Cement. Bathinda is also one of the largest cotton and food grain markets in northern India. Grape is widely cultivated in and around the city and is used for local consumption as well as trade. There are various places worth visiting in Bhatinda. The Bhatinda zoo, the historic Qila Mubarak fort, the gurudwara and mazaar of Haji Rattan are popular tourist centers in the city.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.