Bardhaman is a city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is also known by its anglicized name Burdwan. It functions as the headquarters of the Purba Bardhaman district. Bardhaman used to be the district capital during the British era. The city experiences a hot and humid climate and hosts around 4 lakh residents. It is connected to the neighboring cities of Kolkata on one side and Durgapur on the other via the Durgapur Express Highway (NH2). There are quite a few places worth visiting in and around the city. The Shrine of Sarvamangala is believed to be a holy spot that is built upon Goddess Satis umbilicus. The Curzon Gate was built when Lord Curzon had visited the city for the first time. The Shiva Temple At Nawab Hat has 108 temples dedicated to the great Lord. Bengal being a major educational hub in the country has many prestigious educational institutions in each city. The University of Burdwan is one of the most prestigious universities in the state. Burdwan Medical College, Burdwan Raj College and Vivekananda Mahavidyalaya, Burdwan are of great repute. Many residents of Burdwan travel to the nearby cities for work. A good number of the population is employed in various government offices within the city. Agriculture is another major contributor to the citys economy as Bardhaman is known for its rich and fertile soil.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.