Barasat is a neighborhood in Kolkata, situated in the Indian state of West Bengal. It functions as the headquarters of the North 24 Parganas district as well as the Barasat Sadar subdivision. Known for its strategic location at a railway and road junction, Barasat is a regional transportation hub. Several important roads, including National Highway 12, National Highway 112 pass through the town. During the Mughal period, Sankar Chakraborty (who was a commander of the king of Jessore in Bangladesh) came to Barasat and established himself. During the British era, the officials of the East India Company made Barasat a weekend retreat by constructing houses with gardens. Warren Hastings had built his villa in the heart of the region. The place was known for its indigo cultivation and thus contributed largely to the economy of the state. The city is located in the Gangetic plain. Today, the fertile land of the area ensures the cultivation of crops like rice, legumes, potatoes, sugarcane and coconuts. Prestigious academic institutes such as West Bengal State University, Barasat Government College, Brainware University, Adamas University, etc. are located in Barasat. The city has many Ashramas dedicated to different saints and gurus for the Hindu devotees.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.