Baranagar is an emerging city in the Indian state of West Bengal. It is a municipality in the Barrackpore subdivision of the North 24 Parganas district and territorially belongs to the Kolkata Urban Agglomeration. The area was occupied by the in the seventeenth century. An old mansion of the Dutch merchants still remains in the Kutighat area. There was a hog factory in the area where around 3,000 hogs were slaughtered and salted for export every year. Hogs are called "Baraha" in Bengali and hence the area came to be known as "Baraha Nagar" or the "town of hogs." The name got modified to Baranagar later. Baranagar was a renowned center for the extensive jute trade and manufacturing gunny bags during the British era. Baranagar hosts the Indian Statistical Institute or ISI, which is an institution of national importance. It is devoted to research, teaching and application of statistics, social sciences and natural sciences. The city is a major industrial center for the manufacture of agricultural and industrial machinery. Furthermore, the city also has several units for the manufacture of chemicals, castor oil and matches. It also has numerous cotton-processing companies. Temples such as Kaancher Mandir, Joy Mitra Kali Bari and Pathbari draw a lot of local tourists to Baranagar.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.