Baharampur is located in the Murshidabad district of the Indian state of West Bengal. About 200 kilometers away from the state capital of Kolkata, Baharampur functions as the administrative headquarters of the district. Berhampore was captured by the British East India Company, soon after the Battle of Plassey in 1757, and it continued to be a British cantonment till 1870. Initially, most of the residents of Baharampur were government employees besides a few employed in agriculture and silk traders. Gradually, the importance of Baharampur increased and now it has become a business hub. Tourism contributes to the citys economy due to its historical importance. The major industries in this city are rice and oil-seed milling. Many home-crafts such as silk weaving, ivory carving and precious metal works are important industries in this city. The Murshidabad tassar silk of Baharampur is famous in Bengal. Khagra, a neighborhood in Bahrampur is notable for its manufacture of bell-metal, brass utensils, ivory crafts and wood carvings. There are many shopping destinations in this city which has developed enough to provide its 3 lakh residents with all modern amenities. The city is famous for the sweets manohara and chhanabora, the savory snacks called khaja. The places worth visiting in Baharampur are Nashipur Palace, Hajarduari palace, Kathgola Palace, Jafarganj Cemetery, etc.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.