The city of Ambarnath, in the Indian state of Maharashtra, is also a part of the Mumbai Metropolitan Region. It falls within the territorial boundaries of the Thane district. The city is often spelled as Ambernath. The name Ambarnath translates to the Lord of the Sky and refers to Lord Shiva. The city is the site of an old temple dedicated to Lord Shiva, from 1060 AD. Like all suburbs of Mumbai, the railway track divides the city of Ambarnath into Ambarnath East and Ambarnath West. Ambarnath west has developed as an industrial zone and it has numerous small and large chemical factories. The government of India has set up an Ordnance Factory in the region, which is slowly developing a residential neighborhood in the area. There is a large safety matchstick manufacturing facility of WIMCO is located in this region along with more than 150 large-scale industries such as textile, aerospace, chemicals, edible goods and electrical hardware. Ambarnath East is mostly a residential area. The famous Shiva temple is located in Ambarnath East along with several residential and sporting complexes.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.