Ambattur is situated in the Ambattur taluk near Chennai, in the Indian state of Tamil Nadu. It is a fast developing city that hosts residential localities as well as manufacturing units. Ambattur was earlier a village with large expanses of agricultural farmlands irrigated by the Ambattur Lake. The Ambattur industrial estate established in 1964, increased the growth and development of the region. Ambattur falls under the Sriperumbudur parliamentary constituency. It has more than half a million residents and the city is organized into 52 wards for able administration. There are three major waterbodies in Ambattur - the Ambattur Eri, the Puzhal Eri and the Chithu Oragadam Lake. Problems such as dumping of garbage, sewage, water mining and construction of buildings have severely threatened the upkeep of these water resources. The industrial units drive the economy of Ambattur. It was a renowned auto ancillary hub which was joined by many IT companies in the late 2000s. The city has several manufacturing units of military tanks, textile industries, railway concrete sleepers, etc. IT companies such as MilesTs, Dell, Tata Consultancy Services, HCL Technologies, etc. have their development centers in Ambattur. A variety of birds reside in and around Ambattur; several woodland birds and water birds visit the region.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.