Ambala is a city as well as a municipal corporation located in the district of the same name within the Indian state of Haryana. The city forms the border of Haryana and Punjab and lies close to the state capital Chandigarh. Ambala consists of two sub-areas - the Ambala Cantonment area and the Ambala City are, that are less than a kilometer apart. The twin city has a large base of Indian Army and Indian Air Force within its cantonment area. This city separates the Ganges network from the Indus network and the rivers Ghaggar and Tangri surround it. Ambala plays a pivotal role in local tourism, connecting tourists to Chandigarh, Shimla, New Delhi and Amritsar. Gurudwara Manji Sahib, situated within the city, is a place worth visiting in Ambala. The economy of the city is fuelled by its "Cloth Market" which draws shoppers from surrounding areas. It has a dense cluster of at least 1000 wholesale shops that sell a wide range of cloth items like hand-loom textiles, silk, various kinds of sarees, suitings, shirtings as well as dress material of all types. This market is considered to be the largest cloth trading market in Asia. Most of the residents of Ambala are employed in this business.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.