Alappuzha, popularly known as Alleppey, located in Kerala, functions as the administrative headquarters of the Alappuzha District. This city and a municipality in Kerala has an urban population of nearly two lakh people, having highest literacy rate in the state. The Centre for Science and Environment rated Alleppey as the cleanest town in India in 2016, followed by Mysuru and Panaji. This city is the oldest planned city in this area. The lighthouse on the coast of Alappuzha is the first of its kind on the Laccadive Sea coast. The town of Alappuzha is known for its picturesque canals, backwaters, beaches, and lagoons. Lord Curzon had described this city as the "Venice of the East." Malayalam is the most commonly used language in Alappuzha. Alleppey is a place of great tourist attraction in India. The Backwaters of Alleppey are the most popular tourist destination in Kerala. The cruise and houseboats in these backwaters are highly popular. Other attractions in the area are Alappuzha Beach, Pathiramanal, Ambalappuzha Sri Krishna Temple, Arthunkal, Mannarasala Temple, St. Andrews Basilica, Krishnapuram Palace, Haripad Sree Subrahmanya Swamy temple, Chettikulangara Devi Temple, Thakazhy Sree Dharma Sastha Temple, Padanilam Parabrahma Temple, Edathua Church, Mullakkal Temple, Alappuzha CSI Christ Church and Champakulam Valia Palli. The economy of this town is fuelled by tourism followed by agriculture and marine products. Although the district is industrially backward, a few traditional industries such as coir and coir products, handlooms, handicrafts, marine products and toddy tapping are quite popular in Alappuzha for a long time.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.