Agartala, a rapidly developing city, is the state capital of Tripura. The name Agartala is derived from two words - "Agar" refers to an oily and valuable perfume tree, and the word "tala" refers to a storehouse. It refers to the abundantly available Agarwood trees in the region. Located on the bank of the Haora River, Agartala is located 2 kilometers away from the Bangladesh Border. The city experiences a humid climate, with heavy rainfall throughout the year except during the dry winter days. The city has around half a million population and is divided into 49 wards for effective administration. Most of the residents of Agartala are employed in government-owned enterprises. The Public Sector Units that provide employment in Agartala are ONGC, GAIL, Powergrid Corp. Of India Ltd, Airports Authority of India (AAI) and BSNL among a few others. The economy of Agartala developed at a very slow pace until about the year 2000. A few MNCs have recently entered the city and the city is gradually picking up the developmental momentum. NIT, Tripura Medical College, Tripura University, MBB College, ICFAI UNIVERSITY, etc. are some of the prominent academic institutions in the city. Hinduism is the most common religion and there are plenty of temples in the city. There are many churches as well since Christianity is also a widespread faith. There are several spectacular places of tourist interest such as Ujjayanta Palace, Agartala Amusement Park Amtali, Venuban Buddha Vihar, Jagannath temple and College Tilla, apart from the numerous parks and gardens that beautify this city.
On 31st October 1904, The Kumbakonam Bank Limited as it was then called was incorporated as a limited company. The first MOA was signed by 20 devoted and prominent citizens of Kumbakonam including T.S.Raghavachariar, Sarvashri R. Santhanam Iyer, S.Krishna Iyer, and V.Krishnaswami Iyengar. The First Agent of the Bank was T.S.Raghavachariar. He was succeeded by Shri R. Santhanam Iyer, who was designated as Secretary of the bank under the amended Articles of Association which states that "now onwards the secretary will be the in charge of the Banks Management in place of an agent." Shri S. Mahalinga Iyer succeeded him as Secretary who subsequently became the First full-time MD of the Kumbakonam bank as per the amendment of Articles in 1929. From 1926 to 1929, he held the position of Secretary and that of MD from 1929 to 1963. in the beginning. The bank preferred the role of a regional rural bank and slowly built an office in the Delta District, Thanjavur. On 24th January 1930, the first branch of the Bank was opened at Mannargudi. After that, branches were opened at several places within a span of 25 years. On November 14, the bank celebrated its golden jubilee at Kumbakonam.